There are various ways in which one can be appointed as an officer in the Indian Army. This is applicable for both 12 th pass, Graduate or Post graduate candidates. For every other post in the Army except the Army Medical corps have to succeed in the SSB Interview. There is no fixed number of attempts one wants to make. The interview consists of a battery of psychological tests that can determine the candidate’s psychological stability o commission to that particular post. The tests help the Service Selection Board to access the candidates with OLQ’s (Officer like qualities). Candidates who are successful in the interview, have to go through another Medical examination and if they pass the test, only then will their name be put on the Merit list.
The first stage of the selection process is the NDA (National Defense Academy) written examination. The candidates succeeding in the written examination are then provided with a call letter for the SSB Interview which is the most difficult part of this entire process. The aptitude of one is estimated during those 5 days of the Service Selection Board Interview. It is a rigorous, challenging and demanding process which estimates the candidate’s mental, emotional and physical abilities.
The selection is conducted in two stages:
- The first stage is conducted in day one. Meaning, if a candidate fails to succeed in stage one, he/she would be sent back.
- The candidate will be allowed to pursue the other segments of the interview only if they pass in stage one. On completion of the SSB Interview, the names of the selected candidates are featured in the Final merit list of National Defense Academy (NDA) and are selected.
DIFFERENT STAGES OF TESTING
STAGE 1 : TESTING
- The first one is the Screening process which selects some of the potential candidates from the lot. They consist of various activities like.
- VERBAL AND NON-VERBAL TESTING – This testing does not need any actual preparation, but it is always safe to be well acquainted. After the completion of this test, the candidate has to proceed to the PPDT.
- PPDT – In this test, the candidate is shown a picture and is told to tell a story from it within 30 seconds. After this a 2/3 hours of break hours and then the results are declared. The selected candidates are then allotted with new chest numbers.
STAGE 2 : TESTING
- PSYCHOLOGICAL TESTS – It is a battery of tests conducted to check the
psychological compatibility. Candidates are to write their responses based
on the particular type of tests. The battery of psychological tests includes:
a) TAT (Thematic Apperception Test) b) SD (Self Describing Test) c) WAT
(Word Association Test) d) SRT (Situation Reaction Test)
It is better to not to manipulate the test results because the tests are all
about speed of thinking and writing and it may create a problem for the
candidate in the future.
- GTO – This test also includes a set of outdoor tasks and judges mainly the
group performance. Therefore, the candidate needs to work in as a group
and support the group members, thus exhibiting the group performance.
- PERSONAL INTERVIEW – This is the main key that would decide the recommendation of the candidate in the SSB Interview.
- CONFERENCE – This is the last phase where the candidate has to answer a few general questions in front of the SSB board members. This would decide whether the candidate will be recommended as a commissioned officer in the Indian army.
After the interview procedure gets over and the candidate is selected, a medical examination is conducted where he/she has to go through in a military hospital for 4 to 5 days. The SSB Interview is a great opportunity for the aspirants to be a part of the Indian Army and be recruited as a commissioned officer.