Merchant Navy courses are highly job oriented. The shipping industry is booming. The shipping sector is useful for a number of sectors such as transportation of goods and people. Merchant navy is different from the navy since it is more related to offering commercial services, whereas navy is mostly related to the defense systems of the Nation.
Merchant navy is an imperative part of International trade since it carries cargo all over the world. The import export business is largely reliant on the merchant navy. It can prove to be a great career opportunity for the ones wholove to travel since it offers to visit so many places around the globe and offers an opportunity to explore the same. This job is highly monetarily efficient as
well as glamorous and is also a bit challenging.
- B.E MARINE ENGG.
- B.E NAUTICAL SCIENCE
- ELECTRO TECHNICAL OFFICER COURSE
- B.E. HARBOUR AND OCEAN ENGG.
- B.E. ELECTRICAL AND ELECTRONICS ENGG.
- B.SC MARINE CATERING
- B.E. PETROLEUM ENGG.
- B.E. NAVAL ARCHITECTURE AND OFFSHORE ENGG.
- DME COURSE( DIPLOMA MARINE ENGG.)
- B.E. CIVIL ENGG.
- B.E PETROLEUM ENGG.
- DECK RATING COURSE
- ENGINE RATING COURSE
- SALOON RATING COURSE
- DIPLOMA IN NAUTICAL SCIENCE
Top 10 Merchant Navy colleges in India:
|SCI MARITIME TRAINING|
|VELS ACADEMY OF|
|R.L. INSTITUTE OF|
|DR. B.R. AMBEDKAR|
- Candidates must have passed their higher secondary with a minimum of 50%
- Candidates must have gad physics, chemistry and mathematics in their 12th
- Normal vision is required (although glasses up to plus or minus 2.5 is allowed)
- Candidates have to appear for an entrance exam, followed by a screening test and then the main written examination
- Must be between 18 to 28 years of age.
- Candidates must be unmarried ( male or female)
- After clearing the main test, candidates have to undergo another set of interviews and a physical test
- Candidates should be eligible to apply for an Indian passport
- Candidates have to complete a ship-training course prior employment
- Marine Engineer
- Deck Officer (navigation officer)
- Catering and hospitality crew (housekeepers, stewards, chefs, among many)
The salary in this sector is pretty high; ranging from Rupees 12,000 to Rupees 8 lakhs per month. The salary depends on the rank, position, seniority, import-export needs, the hiring company, etc. Meals are offered free for the crew members and sometimes, some senior officers are allowed to bring their spouses o voyages. A Junior Engineer can earn up to Rupees 30,000/ month with free boarding and lodging while o the vessel. A Chief engineer can earn up to Rupees 1.5 lakhs / month. A Third Officer’s salary is about Rupees 50,000 / month and a Captain earns about Rupees 2 lakhs / month.
Merchant navy is a booming industry in the current scenario and therefore a wide range of opportunities await the candidates who are interested in the same.