As we all know, a resume is a very important thing for applying to any job . We can say that a resume is our first impression. And I think there are many of us who don’t know about “How to write an effective resume ?”. So we are going to discuss the main and important things which we should mention in our resume.
So we will start from the top of the resume to its bottom. But at very first we will get to know about What is Resume?
What is Resume ?
A Resume is a formal document in which a person shows his qualifications, career background and skills. Resume consists of work history, professional summary and education section. The resume is usually one of the first items, along with a cover letter and sometimes an application for employment.
The resume is to introduce yourself to the company head . It is used to present your skills and qualifications and to secure an interview . The goal of writing a resume is to showcase your skills, highs and lows, qualification etc. in a standardised manner.
The basics tips for the format of a resume :
- Margin of 1 inch on both sides of the paper.
- Use single or line spacing of 1.15.
- Use a readable font for your resume and keep it for 11 to 12 pt.
- Mention your contact information in the resume header.
- Represent your experience in bullet points.
- Length of the resume must be 1-2 pages.
What should be mentioned in a resume ?
1. Personal Information / Header : At the top of the resume , a header in which your name, contact information, email ID, and other links will be mentioned. You can and your LinkedIn profile, Facebook profile, Instagram profile, or any other accounts profile. You can also add your personal website’s link if you have.
- Necessary :
- Phone number
- Email ID
- Linked in profile
- Optional :
- Personal website
- Resume Title
2. Professional summary : The professional summary is a section in which you will describe yourself. You will mention who you are, what you do and why you are applying for the job. It is not mandatory to add the section of professional summary in your resume but it is a quick overview of yourself that you are the perfect person for the job.
3. Skills : The skills are of two types the first one is soft skills and the second one is your hard skills . As much as the hard skills are mandatory the soft skill are also important.
- Soft skills : You can mention your soft skills in your resume. Soft skills such as :
- Communication skills
- Problem solving skills
- Time management
- Self motivation
- Hard skills : This is a learnable and presentable skills . You can also mention the skills in your resume. Skill consists of the knowledge or the education you have taken. For example :
- Health Care
4. Work experience : The work experience section of your resume where you describe your past jobs is the most crucial component of your whole job application.
- Start with a job title in every entry of your work.
- Mention the company’s name and their location.
- Mention the time period, how long you worked there.
- Describe your post.
5. Education : List your education in a proper manner. Place your highest degree at the very first in your education section. If you have completed a College degree then you don’t have to mention your high school information. Add the extra curricular activities to give a good finish to your resume. You can add your relevant coursework, awards or honours.
6. Additional Information : Add a new section in your resume for adding some more information. So that you can add your hobbies, projects, volunteer works, internship experience, certificates and awards, languages and any other achievement you have made.
7. Cover letter : Cover letter is a job application letter. Adding a cover letter to your resume will increase your chances to secure an internship. Cover letter matching your resume will give you an advantage over other candidates.
A simple way to write a resume is :
- Choose the right resume format.
- Add your contact information and personal details.
- Start with a Heading statement.
- List your relevant work experience and key achievements.
- List two education correctly.
- Put the relevant skills that fit the job ad.
- Include additional information in a separate section.
- Complement your resume with a cover letter.
- Email your resume in the right way.
Then also if you are not getting how to write a perfect resume . Then you can search for the Google templates or anything else for your resume. There you will get many ideas for that. You can build a resume directly on any website and then you can upload it wherever you need . One more pro tip that will help you to write your resume. Start making a list of things you have done for example your high School education marks, college percentage, certificates, awards, everything. It will give you a great benefit when you are making your resume . You can make your resume in just 5 minutes if you have done these things otherwise it will take a lot of your time.