Through the years, the perspective about radio has changed for the people. Earlier, during the initial ages of radio, there were only ‘announcers’ who usually read out the news and made announcements about the scheduled shows to be aired. But there were no radio personalities who were mentioned as ‘radio jockeys. It was over the course of last ten years that the career as a radio jockey has gained importance and is considered no less than a celebrity status. And hence, there has emerged a number of radio jockey jobs.
SKILLS EQUIRED TO BECOME A RADIO JOCKEY
To be a radio jockey, it is very important to have a spunky, spontaneous and a friendly personality. A good voice and a good control over at least two languages is required if one is looking to build their career as a radio jockey. In depth study about this field along with research is needed as in any other fields. One has to listen to other jockeys and learn and then afterwards create their own style and practice.
Some other skills required are:
- Ability to module one’s voice
- Being up-to-date with latest trends, current issues, news, films, etc.
- Content writing skills
- Sense of humor and spontaneity
- Clarity of speech
- Correct pronunciation
- Being expressive and creative
- Certain special characteristics that will make you different from the others and thus compel the listeners to follow your shows
TOP COLLEGES PROVIDING RADIO JOCKEY COURSES:
- Xavier Institute of Communications, Mumbai
- Radio City School of Broadcasting, Mumbai
- Symbiosis Institute of Media and Communications, Pune
- Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi
- Indian Institute of Mass communication, New Delhi
- Zee Institute of Media Arts, Mumbai
- The Mudra Institute of Communications (MICA), Mumbai
- Christ University, Bangalore
- Apeejay Institute of Mass Communication, New Delhi
- Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan, New Delhi
RADIO JOCKEY COURSES :
Here are some of the radio jockey courses that one can pursue to get started on the journey to become a successful radio jockey:
- Diploma in Radio Programming and Broadcast Management (DRPM)
- Certificate Course in Radio Jockeying
- Diploma in Radio Production and Radio Jockeying (DRJ) Post Graduate Diploma in Radio and Broadcast Management (PGDBM)
CAREER PATHS AVAILABLE AS A RJ
- Announcer – It is one of the most basic positions available in the radio station. The work of an announcer involves reading advertisements, introduces content on radio and announces the schedule timing of the upcoming radio shows of that particular channel.
- News Reader – Radio possesses a set of norms and thus one has to know how to be a fluent speaker.
- Music Director – This profession is responsible for the songs we can hear on the radio. One has to be well acquainted with the music library and this post gives one an idea about the same.
- On-air personalities – They are the radio jockeys we hear on the radio regularly. Their main job includes keeping the audience entertained and manage the show timings.
- Production Director – This position can be attained only after being a senior on-air personality. This person controls the radio traffic and regulates and schedules the production and strategic programs.
- Station Manager – This person manages the issues and programs ofthe station.
There a number of job prospects available. One can work for the private stations like Radio Mirchi (98.3) or RedFM (93.5) which are private radio stations and always look for fresh new talents. One can also work in the public enterprise or the All India Radio (AIR).
The starting salary of a radio jockey ranges within Rupees 10,000 to 30,000. While as one gains popularity and experience, one can earn up to Rupees 1.5 lakhs per month and even more. Radio Jockeying is therefore a great career opportunity for people who love talking, interacting, creative writing and expressing.